Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The terms and their meanings

Hi everyone
    I'm sure this question is going to highlight my naivety in all of this but I must admit I'm a little confused about the details of some of the terms used on here.

In particular its the difference between NFA, NC and Not Guilty

Now I'm guessing NG is fairly obvious but requires a charge and a trial, what are the implications on your record? Do you have to declare it? Will it show up on CRB and eCRB checks etc?

I believe NC means no charge but I'm taking a guess here. Can some one explain it to me and what it all means.

NFA I guess means No Further Action. I've taken from some of the posts on this website that this does not necessarily mean they believe you are innocent but that the CPS think there is a less than 51% probability of winning the case. I also believe that the file just sits there forever.
    If you are not charged then what are the implications on your record? Will it show on your CRB or eCRB checks and do you have to declare it?
    If you are charged but get an NFA before court are things different and if so how?

Any clarity on the matter would be welcome.
    Thanks

One further question.
    If you have any of the above and wish to travel to a country like America do you have to declare it and does it cause problems?

Part of me isn't sure I want to know the answer to this one

Comment

In the legal context the following acronyms stand for)
      NC = No Comment (Client availed him/her self of right to silence or answered "no comment" to questioning in interview) NC isn't an admission or denial of guilt.

NFA = No further Action/Refused Charge - Case has been dropped - the end. However it can be resurrected if further evidence came to life, or in certain circumstances case reopened (without new evidence)

NG = Not Guilty - Clients indicates it prior to trial. (or pleads G = Guilty) prior to sentence.

However I supposed NC could be Not Charged by the uninitiated.

The biggest problem is the difference between spent/unspent convictions (for the purpose of what you have to disclose) and people thinking they are one and the same as CRB checks.
      Hope this post helps. But this post does not constitute legal advice, nor a contract/agreement for it.

Comment

Originally posted by How did this happen View Post
        One further question.
        If you have any of the above and wish to travel to a country like America do you have to declare it and does it cause problems?
        One of our members, Felix, has done a lot of research into what you need to declare when applying for a visa to travel to America.

Rather than steal his thunder (and also because there wasn't a definitive answer!) search for his posts and read up what he has found out.
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

P.S
          NC is sometimes used by police to mark as No Crime.
          Hope this post helps. But this post does not constitute legal advice, nor a contract/agreement for it.

Comment

Thanks all
            Kind of wish I hadn't answered the US question now.
            It's got me seriously annoyed at the FA all over again. This is going to permeate through every part of our life forever and there hasn't even been a crime committed!!!

I know everyone here is in the same boat so I guess you all know how I feel but it just seems so unfair that we get punished forever and she will wander on with her life. I know we could probably get a visa but they seem to take 10-14 weeks and cost an extra £140-160

Positivity didn't last long did it

Comment

It's a flippant answer, so sorry, but lots (most) countries aren't as stringent as the USA who are looking over their shoulders at the muslims.

e.g. Thailand which is a lovely country to visit, beats the USA hands down IMO, requires a visitor to fill in a visa-on-arrival form on which there is no mention of arrest or conviction.

America is a special case and I believe Felix had strong reasons for needing to go there.

But coming back to your main point, yes sadly a FA is life changing and we necessarily adapt our lives afterwards.
              'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Hi casehardened

No your answer was fine I just read the information supplied and got annoyed all over again.

I have family in the US who we wanted to visit so I guess that's gone and often there is a work requirement in our field. I have been three times for work in a relatively short period and we are in the same field.

I'm just feeling indignant and annoyed and upset at the fact we have to alter out lives. I think I won't share this little gem with my OH yet indeed him to stay as positive as he can be and he is already so very very worried about what the future holds for him.

I'm very grateful for all the support on here I'm not coping very well with everything just now as I have lots of my own difficult personal stuff going on too so it's good to have somewhere to vent I don't really have anyone else at the moment

Comment

Working...
                X