accused for suspision of rape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stressed out View Post

i was thinking about something that, i didn't tell me employer that i got a sexual offence case going on, so by law do i need to tell them? because i am only charged not convicted.
    I don't know much about employment law (so I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong!) but, if the question of 'have you ever been arrested or charged with an offence' wasn't specifically asked in the interview or on the application form, then there is no reason to mention it, after all if/when you are found NG the slate is wiped clean.

If the job involves work with children or vulnerable adults the employer will carry out a ECRB check (or whatever the new equivalent is) and may well not take you on due to having been charged with the offence.

However do bear in mind that if you are in employment by the time the trial comes along it might be quite an awkward situation if your employer isn't aware!
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

• trails are right here now..

hey all

hope you all good.

its been a while since i came here, actually was busy at work and just kept myself busy in 2 jobs so tried my best not to think about the case but now my trails are month away.

whenever i am happy, suddenly think about the case so smile just swept away. i guess its normal.

don't know how people cope with this feeling that there case is just up on the head, seriously those peoples are brave.

I am just really scared to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by stressed out View Post
        hey all

hope you all good.

its been a while since i came here, actually was busy at work and just kept myself busy in 2 jobs so tried my best not to think about the case but now my trails are month away.

whenever i am happy, suddenly think about the case so smile just swept away. i guess its normal.

don't know how people cope with this feeling that there case is just up on the head, seriously those peoples are brave.

I am just really scared to be honest.
        Hi SO,

Thanks for updating us. It must be a good thing that you are keeping occupied by being at work.

After reading thru' your thread - you do seem calmer, although the trial approaching would put anyone under immense pressure/stress.

Keep in touch with us and I wish you every strength.

Comment

• Hi there

I'm a little behind you in the road but I completely understand how you're feeling.. I have to be at maj,s in two weeks...I'm bricking just going to that... I feel so humiliated and currently I'm supposed to be innocent....

For me it is a constant stomach churner, and something I think about 24/7..

what ever the outcome, innocent, guilty...prison...freedom... This part has an end and I can focus all of my energy on rebuilding my life.... And I will...

Good luck to you, you are not alone.

IG

Comment

• Thanks for your reply's

I went hospital yesterday for check up and been told, I am recovering really good so yeah i am getting good news these days.

I really hope and pray that everyone who is going through same sistuation as i am in, will be free to go as we know inside that we are not guilty.

i always wonder about those peoples, who don't know about this website and going through the same sistuation as we are, hope they be coping with their cases well.

by the way what is pre sentence report and what that department do?

my case include a underage girl so the jury might be little on her side? is it possible?

when the jury do verdict, they have to go throught the ought? they can't take any decision by emotion
            Last edited by stressed out; 2 October 2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• information about jury and trails

hi all

hope you all okay.

been searching and reading a lot of threads, my trials are 3 weeks far now, don't know what will happen but have faith on God and hopefully i will be found not guilty.

but still i am scared because you never know what will happen, its a normal feeling i guess.

some of the members, already been through trails here, and i need help, what to expect there?

who will be jury? are they like commons persons like us or will be law educated? how often do i have to speak? will i be standing there or sitting down somewhere?

prosecution will be attacking me with there questions, how i suppose to answer them, can i like go in details and explain them or just give a straight away answer.

when i am scared and in that sort of condition, i sweat so much and feel dizzy. i don't know what to do about it.

Comment

• Hi Stressed out.

Members of the jury are eligible persons who are registered electors aged 18 to 75.
                Resident in the UK for at least 5 years since age 13.
                Not mentally disordered and not disqualified for whatever reason.

You will only have to answer questions when you will stand in front of the 12 members of the jury,the defending and prosecuting barristers.

As always you shouldn't go into too many details but only tell the truth.
                Do not make a single mistake.

To cut a long story short: I met my barrister before the trial and I wanted to defend myself "too much", he told me :
                "Have you finish running like a tap because if you are like this in court, the jury will start to look at the ceiling and this will be the end for you".

Answer briefly and honestly to the barristers while keeping eye contact with the jury.

Prosecution can and will ask you several times the same questions.
                They will try to trick you and make you look like a danger to society.

You must keep faith and confident.
                Remember you are innocent.
                Last edited by Boys don't cry; 13 October 2013, 11:17 PM.
                Non,je ne regrette rien.

Comment

• Hi Stressed out - Great advice from BDC. Have you had a look at this ? http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...xpect-at-Trial

I'm not going to kid you... it's a frightening experience. You will be asked to sit behind a glass panel (with the co-def if you're being tried together) throughout the proceedings. Billykickass ( a previous member) imagined this was his new office, which I think is a good strategy.

You should be on bail during the proceedings , so free to go during breaks etc. You might want to get there early to check-out where the loos or tea-room are. You'll probably find there's a lot of time wasting - the judge/barristers etc are in their comfort zone, so they will all seem fairly relaxed though very respectful and procedural and there may be a certain amount of discussion between themselves. One of the judge's roles is to explain points of law to the jury.

You can't get much more formal then this, so dress correctly - a suit is not necessary, jacket and tie is fine, look clean and presentable. If you have friends or family members you are willing to come to court to support you, you'll probably be more than happy someone around during the breaks and after each day - it also shows that you have people who believe in you.

Presumably you've been over everything thoroughly and have got character witnesses established. In the run-up to the trial, you need to prepare like a marathon runner - that includes eating properly, getting enough sleep and unwinding / having fun.

All the best.

Comment

• Hi - I do not really have any advice to offer in respect of the trial and you have already been given some good advice. However, I really wish you mighty NG.

Comment

• thanks for your replays can it get any worse and whatsgoing on.

Next Monday is my first day of trail. i don't know but just very scared, there few things i want to know, that the so called victim, does she have to be present in court every day?? trails will be lasted 5 days.

how often me and passenger meant to talk? like the prosecution ask us questions all the time or just whenever they want?

i got a conference meeting with my barristers on Friday for 1.30 hours and Monday i got a trail. will 1 and half hour be enough from them to do preparation? because i read some peoples had meeting few times before case

Comment

• hi

im in court the 11nov for a pre hearing, keep your head up, if I am correct you are innocent until proven guilty without any reasonable doubt!! hope this is still the case???

Comment

• Hi Stressed out

It's worth having a look at this sticky for what to expect in court. http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/s...xpect-at-Trial.

It's my understanding that the complainant does not have to stay once she has given her evidence.
                          The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

St Augustine

Comment

• thanks for your reply.

i have read it, its shakes the heart but i did read that thread.

like you said above that, the girl don't have to be present all the time but what is my barrister want to ask question at any time and she not present there then?

i got one question in my head, just pop up.

how does verdict works? for example out of 12 jury, if 7 thinks the person is not guilty and 5 says guilty, will the person be convicted or will it be a re-trail??

if 1 jury member thinks the person is not guilty and 11 thinks he is guilty, will the person be convicted or re-trail? i have tried to look on net but didn't get a full picture of it.

Comment

• For the first two hours and ten minutes the jury is asked to come to a unanimous (everybody agrees) decision. If after that time (or longer depending on the judge and barristers) they will be given a majority direction by the judge if they cannot agree.

The court can only accept a 10/2 or 11/1 verdict. If it is, say 9/3 then the jury is considered to be 'hung' and usually a retrial is ordered with a fresh jury. If one of the jury is discharged for whatever reason during the course of the trial, then the majority verdict that is accepted is 10/1. I don't think that they will accept 9/2.

To answer your questions:

if 7 thinks the person is not guilty and 5 says guilty, will the person be convicted or will it be a re-trail??

Retrial will be ordered as that would be considered to be a 'hung jury'.

if 1 jury member thinks the person is not guilty and 11 thinks he is guilty, will the person be convicted or re-trail? i have tried to look on net but didn't get a full picture of it.

This would be a guilty verdict - anybody with a 11/1 guilty verdict will be convicted.
                              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

• Originally posted by Rights Fighter View Post
                                For the first two hours and ten minutes the jury is asked to come to a unanimous (everybody agrees) decision. If after that time (or longer depending on the judge and barristers) they will be given a majority direction by the judge if they cannot agree.

The court can only accept a 10/2 or 11/1 verdict. If it is, say 9/3 then the jury is considered to be 'hung' and usually a retrial is ordered with a fresh jury. If one of the jury is discharged for whatever reason during the course of the trial, then the majority verdict that is accepted is 10/1. I don't think that they will accept 9/2.

To answer your questions:

Retrial will be ordered as that would be considered to be a 'hung jury'.

This would be a guilty verdict - anybody with a 11/1 guilty verdict will be convicted.

thanks for your reply back right fighter.

I used to think that it has to be majority verdicts, gosh i was so wrong.

so its possible that if jury hung like couldn't come to proper verdict then re-trail will be ordered and to do this, it will cost again to tax payers so most of the cases get closed or prosecution asked the charged person to accept any lowest charge but of course if the person is innocent, he will says no and re-trial will be ordered.

if the jury hung then is it a good sign right?

will the judge tell the jury that if a girl says no, sometime it means yes for any sexual intercourse? i have read it on internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X