For mention..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For mention..............

my trial was due to begin tomorrow however i have just looked on the court listings and it says for mention, im really confused as now im not sure if my case is still going ahead tomorrow or not and dont actually know what "for mention" means!!??
    I have called my solicitor who has requested that i still need to attend tomorrow because they need to speak to me and I need to be present, he seemed quite happy on the phone and his voice didnt give me any course for concern but now i feel really paranoid about what is going on....
    I had built myself up ready for tomorrow and I really dont think i could take it if it gets postponed until next year, I have been through enough already and this is making my life a living nightmare!
    Any help in relation to what "for mention" means would be greatly appreciated!!

I've not come across this term so googled it: FWIW the answer I found is below.

Hope all goes well for tomorrow......

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Law/Question539745.html

A Mention Hearing at Crown Court is a hearing to bring issues in the case to the attention of the Judge, hopefully the same Judge at trial.

A listing can be made for various reasons, i.e. insufficient disclosure from prosecution etc.

Under the previous legal system it would be usual to have a mention to see how trial preparation is going and the Judge could make directions for disclosure to be served by a certain date or for a defence case statement to be served by a certain date if not already ordered.

Under new provisions for Crown Court prosecution mention hearings are less likely to be made due to the administration of simple, speedy justice.
    'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

im really confussed with it, an hour ago i was set for trial then i look and get confirmation from my solicitor that they have just found out its been changed for mention. he said my trail will not start tomorrow and now i cant think straight. we have collected so much more evidence so does this mean the cps have reveiwed it and will offer no evidence? im so confussed

Comment

How I understood it is that tomorrow will be a 'administrative' hearing before the judge rather than the actual trial.

I guess there will be only you, your solicitor & barrister, the judge & the CPS barrister present in the courtroom.

It seems like there are some legal points to be ruled on by the judge before the actual trial can start on a later date.

This is only my understanding of this term so hopefully other members will be able to confirm this.
        'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

My son had a Mention hearing when the solicitor had to get the cps to disclose the results of the forensics tests. He also postponed the trial on the day when it came to light that my sons accuser had made a previous false accusation that the CPS didnt disclose until 2 weeks before the trial.
          I am afraid you should be prepared for dirty tricks and delays, i suspect that the idea is to un nerve you and make you nervous in the hope that you will plead guilty. we waited a year before we went to court

Comment

had it today the cps offered me a sexual assualt charge instead of 2 rape charges, im so angry at this and im looking at different ways of fighting this accusation.

Comment

If you accept the plea bargain you won't be fighting the accusations.....you'll be admitting to them.
              People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I am still awaiting a CPC decision and understand the pressure and hell you are going through and even worse is the pain you see that your family is being put through. You have to be true to yourself, the system may be flawed and is definatly not there to consider us but if you except the lesser charge then that it what you and your family will be for the rest of your life. Please consider this carefully, for me I would rather go to prison an inocent man and come out the other side an inocent man than admit I did such a terrible thing. Take care.

Comment

Working...
                X