Don't know where to begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know where to begin.

My OH's father got arrested 2 weeks ago accused of abusing and raping his ex wife (My OH'S Mum)- I know from talking with my OH that they had an abusive marriage, lots of fighting, arguments, shouting - he often lost his temper and hit her..however my OH honestly doesn't think his dads got it in him to rape a woman (and nor do I!!!!)
    We have both lived with the man, and although at times he was slightly controlling towards me and my OH, I never felt threatned by him in the slightest (and at times it would just be me him with my little boy in the house)
    I agree he was wrong to hit her and should be punished for that, but from my understanding (and from knowing the woman) she likes pushing people to the limit - she will follow people if they walk away from an arguement making very very sensitive and personal insults, keep phoning/texting the person she is having a conflict with and try to make their life a living hell, so she is very IN YOUR FACE, intense and intimidasting. She has been very intimidating towards me at times, even when I was pregnant and had a newborn son she would have me on the verge of tears and shaking with anger (and I am very placid!!!!)
    She has a long history of psych problems - is on a million and one tablets and spends most of her days sleeping, or getting drunk. Shes never looking after her 13yr old boy who has numerous health probs - he gets a free taxi to school and is rarely 'looked after' by her in my opinion, she just makes a huge show out of everything to make it look as if she cares about him, when all she can think about is number 1. If he was ever after affection or love when we lived at his dads - he would go and see him (they live opposite eachother!)
    Anyway enough background, he was arrested on the 17th june and has been released on bail until the 16th of July I think (roughly a month anyway!!)
    He didnt say anything in his interview as his solicitor advised him to say "no comment" to everything
    One of his 3 sons (aged 20) gave a statement saying his dad was violent towards his mum (my guess is he was bullied into giving a statement as he lives with her) - however in respect of the rape charges I guess its his word against hers. He is 70, she is 50 and this has only come out of the woodwork since they had a fallout a few weeks ago - he used to do alot for her despite them being divorced (picks up pescriptions, cooks for her, shops for her, takes her to hosp appts, goes on hols with her etc) so its not as if she is scared of him! She also has a long history of what I will call "Massive dramas"
    She has rung the police/ambulance service a ridiculous amount of times in the past few years, more times than most people would need to ring over a life time, usually because she has had a "huge injury" or is on the "brink of death" usually all self infilicted or made up illnesses - especially when someone else is getting attention for a genuine illness or problem - I am honestley surprised she hasnt set her house on fire and accused someone of that just so she can call the fire brigade and police! She had meningitis after I contracted it after giving birth, shes been pushed over twice this year, shes had breathing difficulities, problems with her supposed diaviticulistis, suicide 'attempts' etc etc etc. - it seems she might have munchasens syndrome too - although I am pretty sure she just loves the drama of calling an ambulance and getting all her sons around her spoiling her.
    I am unsure where I am going with this just wanted to know if she had a leg to stand on in court if it did get there - We havent given evidence and my OH doesn't want to - I am in a similar position as I guess we can't be 100% he didnt do it - I am just 99% sure he wouldnt.
    My OH took the news badly, it seems she wants to ruin everyones lives - my OH and I have decided we don't want her to see our son anymore, he turns 2 on sunday and I think its quite inapproperiate to have such a bad infulence in his life - she has played head games with both of us and I don't want her doing the same thing to him in 10yrs time! I have also decided not to be involved with her - had I known what she was like before I had my son, I would have backed away and left my other half - shes a very very messed up, manipulating woman.
    I am wondering what will happen next, I cant imagine my FIL going to prison but I know how convincing she is, she has this sickening innocence about her when she has any involvement with social services/the police/ambulance service as if shes nice as pie. I am scared she will start making these accusations all the time, given the attention shes been getting - what on earth are we supposed to do if she starts accusing me, my other half or my family of doing something we havent done? It doesnt bear thinking about, she just seems on a mission to destroy every life around her because shes not happy.
    We are supporting OH's dad as much as poss but its hard to know what to say/do... Hes on meds for stress and sleeping problems and tbh I wouldnt be surpised if the poor man is suicidal - this is a final straw for all of us...not exactly what you'd hope retirement to be..poor guy.
    Any words of wisdom?
    H

Also forgot to mention - one reason my OH wouldnt want us to give statements is possible reprocussions (sp?)- if we said anything bad about her she would try to 'get us back' in anyway possible on a massive scale - it doesn't even bare thinking about what she could say about me or my OH or anyone we're friends with
    We are a young family just getting started out in life - I don't want her to jepodise our careers/family because of her misery.
    Hope that makes sense to someone out there.
    H

Comment

Your OH will need all the defence material he can get if he is charged.

Please read other threads on here and please take note from them that any evidence that can help the defence will be ignored by the police or they will go to the accuser, tell her, and she will change her story to suit.

If the police request statements from any potential defence witnesses they must make their positions clear - "I can only give evidence for the defence so I cannot help the case for the Crown".

If they insist on taking "Section 9 statements" then the helpful witnesses must make sure that they are clear that they do not believe the allegations and will help the defence case.

On occasion some officers will tell a potential witness for defence that now they have signed a police (Section 9) statement they cannot help the defence or talk about the case.

"There is no property in a witness".

If OH is charged then his (well chosen experienced in false allegations) solicitor must be told about the witnesses the police have attempted to snaffle and why their evidence is vital.

The police are not there to investigate these matters. They are there to increase rape convictions in order to meet targets and some police officers will hide/misuse evidence to achieve that end.

Not all officers are like that by a long chalk. But some are and that is why support groups exist - because the unfortunate minority have been screwed over.

Unfortunately, to protect your own case, you must assume that all officers are corrupt - which is a shame because there are some decent coppers around.
      People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

I think it's Worriedmum's Father in Law who has been accused, not her OH.
        Just wanted to clarify that.
        Otherwise the advice given by RF is excellent. I can't add to it, but wanted to say Welcome

Comment

You're right Saffron and my apologies. I'm doing too many things at once........again ............
          People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
          X