Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• false accusers punishment

Hi all

I feel that all false accusers should be prosecuted and be subject to stringent penalties.

However, you have to bear in mind that if the scale of punishment is not carefully thought about as it might discourage people from retracting their false statements.

My proposals to deal with this are as follows:

1/ if a person makes a false allegation that they withdraw before the police commence an investigation they should be required to sign on at 06.30 and 18.30 at their local police station for a period of up to one month, this period to be determind by a police inspector. this is the end of lie ins and happy hours and can be done using existing resources to reduce expense.
    They should also be put on a national register of false accusers.

2/ if they retract their statement after the police have investigated they should be required to do the above for a period of up to 3 months, at the discretion of a
    police superintendant and placed on the register.

3/ If their allegations have resulted in the arrest of an innocent person they should be prosecuted in Magistrates Court, with the punishment options available to include a 1 year sentance, a ?5000 fine and up to 200 hours of community service. If they are not imprisoned they should be required to sign on, in the manner described above for a period of up to a year at the magistrates discretion and be placed on the false acussers register.

4/ If they cause a case to go to court then they should be tried in a Crown Court, on being found guilt the judge should be required to state what he would have sentenced the accused to if he had been found guilt and the false accuser should be sentenced to the same penalty and be placed on the register.

5/ If their false allegation results in an innocent person serving time in prison, on either remand or sentanced, they shouls be sentenced to the accused's sentence plus the time the accused server and placed on the register.

6/ If their allegation results in the accused's suicide they should be sentanced to life, and for life to mean life.
    In this instance they should still be placed on the register in case they make allegations against a prison officer or inmate.

I feel that this sliding scale of punishment would deter false accusers, encourage early admmissions of false accusations and represent justice for the accused and their families.

Any compensation payments should have to be repaid, together with interest charges on an agreed weekly rate, if they fail to comply they should be tried for fraud and their goods seized to repay the amount owed. They should also be made to pay the same amount of compensation to their victim that they claimed from the system.

In the event that a false allegation costs the accused, or any of his family their job, the accuser should be made to repay lost income for a period to be decided by the judge in the case. Failure to meet these payments should also result in the seizure of goods, attatchments to earnings and deductions from benefits and pensions until the full amount, plus interest, is repaid.

I think that the "signing on" at the police station is an effective punishment that is very cost effective and subjects the false accuser to a similar level of inconveniance as experianced by their victim at no cost to the public and a saving of courts time.

Any person on the false accusers register should not be denied justice in the event of any further claims, but a register would allow the police to call in a psychiatrist early on to asses the case before resources are wasted.

If someone is found guilty of false allegations twice they should be punished by the next tier of sentencing automatically.

In the event of a court case arising as a result of false allegations the victim should be asked to provide an impact statement and the judge should be able to award compensation as he sees fit to cover mental injury, loss of earnings and damage to reputation.

As with any case there should be a right of appeal, however, as this is in effect a second false allegation, in the event of an unsuccesful appeal their origonal sentence should start again from the date of the appeal failure.

In the event that a psychiatrist be involved in a repeat allegation the concept of sectioning a false accuser under the provisions of the Mental Health Act should be automatically examined

All false accusers, at whichever level their falshoods are admitted or exposed should be obliged to make a personal apology to their victim and provide a written apology for publication by the victim, publication costs startind at ?500 and increasing from scenario 1 to six in ?500 increments. Failure to do so should reult in any sentence handed down being doubled.

In all case, after the first false allegation, any acces to CICA payments should be withdrawn to remove that particular incentive. Look at it this way - insurers keep detailed records of mutliple claimaints and will refuse to cover those with a bad track record, the CICA scheme is only a form of insurance and no insurance company will cover a person who has made a false claim before.

In the event of a proven third false allegation an automatic life sentence should be imposed with a minimum tariff of ten years. On release the accuser should be placed on the register.

The national register of false accusers should be available to all police forces and incorperate a facility for employment checks to ensure that a false accuser is not employed in any position tht would put them in any situation where they might offend again.

If a mobile phone of computer is used in the commision of a false allegation the accuser should be subject to lifetime ban in respect of ownership or use of such devices.

With the advent of the National ID card, false accusers, together with all other convicted criminals should have their ID cards clearly marked with their offence upon release. Any person found in possesion of a forged card, or a card altered to remove the offence code, should be automatically sentenced to a repeat of the index sentence.

In the instance of a false rape accuser this would allow a man she starts to talk to to examine her card, notice the problem and decide for himself if he wishes to swap ten years of his life for a night of passion.

In addition to the punishments above, due to the high level of expense in such cases, false accusers should be made to repay all associated legal costs plus interest. If they fail to keep up with the payments they should be tried for fraud and have all future payments stopped from their benefits and pensions.

For those of a religeous bent it is interesting to note that one of the ten commandments is "thou shalt not bear false witness" and was obviously considered a problem three thousand years ago and is showing no signs of abating yet.

Any false accuser given a prison sentence should be required to attend behavioral management courses and be subject to probation checks for the full period of their licence.

The Register of false accusers should oblige a convicted false accuser to register their address with the police on release, advise of any change of address within 72 hours, advise the police if they are to be away from their registered address for more than 72 hours and any destination if travelling abroad. Additionally, in the event that a convicted false accuser takes up any form of employment, thet must advise the police of this fact and produce a form from their employer stating that they are aware of the conviction.

Any breach of register conditions should result in automatic recall to prison if still on licence and a three month sentance if the licence is expired. future breaches should result in sentences increasing in three month increments.

Well, thats what I think.

Regards

Hi Val,

I agree with what you've said whole heartedly.

Ali

Comment

me 2 thats 4 sure x

Comment

hello Val

Both my hubby and i totally agree with u on this, but for all this to happen, they have to change the law in this country, as u see in other countries they dont stand for any nonence, we r too lenient in this country thats why they know they can get away with it.

Unless u r like me, i m like a dog with a bone and dont give up.

My hubby also said which i agree with him and that is also any third party involved with the false allegations should be prosecuted for aiding and a betting.

regards sue1947

Comment

hi sue your quite right there in my son's case her mother and friend was involved ( both accuser themselfs ) in the past, but its a very very hard job proving who else is involved, the law in this country stinks and i don't mean just about this issue i mean about a lot more things x

Comment

I agree in priniciple with Val's suggestions, but I do think that there is a major stumbling block to all this.

While anyone who is PROVEN to have made a false allegation should be severely punished, the difficulty lies in proving the allegation was false. If a person is tried and acquitted of rape or a sexual offence, this does not neccessarily mean they are innocent.

Most of you know my opinion of the justice system with regard to sex crimes, and the jury system in the UK. However, for the sake of this discussion, we have to assume that the jury does actually listen to the judge, and follow the guidance: "if there is any doubt in your minds as to the defendant's guilt, you must acquit".

Many people accused of rape/indecent assault are innocent, and the allegations against them are malicious. However, there are also a number of people who are acquitted because the prosecution have failed to prove guilt "beyond all reasonable doubt". This does not mean that the allegation was false and malicious.

Making a false allegation is an exceptionally difficult crime to prove. However, as we have discussed elsewhere on this site, rape and sexual assault are the only crimes which do not require corroboration or physical evidence. However, the crime of making a false allegation requires either a confession, or some pretty damning proof from another source.

By the way, has anyone heard from ashley? he seems to have disappeared.

Comment

Hi Saffron

I totally agree that not every case where the defendant is found not guilty would result in counter case for perverting the course of justice or perjury.

However, in cases where the accuser lies, and is caught lieing in terms of both statement and verbal evidence, then a case of attempting to pervert the course of justice should be brought against them.

This should go through the appropriate legal stages, resulting in a trial, and a jury should decided whether they are guilty or not - exactly the same process that they put their victim through.

Take the semi hyperthetical example of Miss X, who accuses Mr Y of kicking in her front door, dragging her upstairs to her bedroom, tearing her clothes of and raping her. The court hears that the front door was found to be undamaged, and shows no sign of being forced, that there is no medical evidence to show signs of recent sexual activity, no DNA evidence present to show that Mr Y had ever been in the room in question and that the clothes presented as evidence show no signs of damage.

In such an instance, where all the evidence points to the fact that the alleged rape never happened, the Jury may well conclude that that Mr Y is not guilty. By the same token, should Mr Y prefer charges against Miss X, of perverting the course of justice, a jury may well conclude that they believe that Miss X lied and is guilty as charged.

In such an instance Miss X should be punished appropriatly and placed on a register of known false accusers. I maintain that suitable punishment would be the sentence that Mr Y would have incurred, had he been found guilty, plus any time that Mr Y served on remand.

If, on being charged, Miss X admits that she fabricated the whole thing it would seem reasonable to take into account that she has saved the public the cost of an expensive trial and her sentence be reduced in line with the usual arrangements for such matters.

Additionally, much as allegations made againts individuals are now recorded, allegations of attempting to pervert the course of justice should also be placed on file and such information be made available in the event of future proceedings.

All that seems fair and evenly balanced to me.

Regards

Comment

Hi Val

Yes, I totally agree with you. If the accusation is proven to be malicious and false, then the recriminations should be severe. Otherwise it makes a total mockery of our legal (i won't say "justice") system.

Incidentally, in Scotland there are 3 verdicts for the jury to choose from: Guilty; Not Guilty and Not Proven. This seems to me to be a far more sensible option than the black and white guilty/not guilty. Although I am not sure where a "not proven" verdict would leave the CPS in terms of the double jeopardy rule. But of course that is now being abolished, so it wouldn't be a problem.

What does everyone else think about the idea of having a "not proven" verdict? may be worth including in the jury service letter?

Saffron

Comment

hi saffron i guess a not proven verdict could do more damage 2 a not quilty person surely that would leave them in limbo ?

Comment

i agree with you
                    maria

Comment

I can see this to an extent Maria, although the same could be said about the rape victim, should the "not guilty" verdict be returned - for example, I would feel like it was being implied I was a liar. A "not proven" may be more accurate in a lot of cases - that there isn't enough evidence to confirm either way, not that either party was lying.

Comment

Originally posted by maria@30th April 2005 - 02:35 PM
                        hi saffron i guess a not proven verdict could do more damage 2 a not quilty person surely that would leave them in limbo ?
                        Hi Maria

I hear what you are saying, and in a ideal world all innocent and falsely accused people would get a "not guilty" verdict. But as you and I know perfectly well, this is not the case. Surely a "not proven" verdict would be better than a Guilty one.

At present in many sex crime trials, the jury are simply asked to decide who they believe - the defendant or the accuser. And it is almost a forgone conclusion that they will believe the poor "victim" hiding behind a screen than the person in the dock. Many juries walk into sex crime trials with the opinion "well, the victim MUST be telling the truth, otherwise they wouldn't be here..."

As we all know, rape and indecent assault are the only crimes which can get to court without corroboration or physical evidence. The accuser's word is enough. And in my book, one person's word against another is not enough to prove guilt or innocence "beyond all reasonable doubt".

Hope you are feeling better, and that Shane is doing OK.

Saffron x

Comment

hi saffron an all i'm doing a lot better now thanks shane is still very stressed i think he's still suffering from the onslaught of his trauma still hopefully he will get his appeal soon, i still think that it would be very hard for someone who is innocent to be able to move on if there was a not proven verdict if i had to go through an ordeal where i ended up in court and i had a verdict like that i feel i would wonder who would beleive in me and who wouldn't its a hard one x

Comment

And now with the new "Double Jeopardy" ruling, a defendant can be re-arraigned and face retrial on the same alleged crimes providing fresh evidence is produced. Fresh evidence only need be either a "top-up" on the original or roping somebody else in to strengthen the case. This has happened recently on a case I am involved with.

This can now happen with a "not proven" and also, a "not guilty" verdict.

Before the new double jeopardy ruling there might have been some merit in the idea of the three verdicts, rather than the two. It would appear that now, nobody wins apart from the accuser.

If the accuser/complainant is telling the truth, then yes of course justice should take it's course. The trouble is, too many are not guilty and too many innocent guys are being sent to prison. And by the same token, too many guilty guys are walking free to offend again.
                            People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
                            X