Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help- been to hell and back and now NFA- what can we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help- been to hell and back and now NFA- what can we do?

Hello

I've not posted before, but have been reading. I will try to summarize the situation.
    At the end of March, at 2 am, police knocked on our door, and arrested my DH on suspicion of raping an eight year old child. This was supposed to have happened in 2002. They named the complainant- it was a girl who lived down the road from us at our old house, (we moved in 2004 from the SE to Midlands) a friend of our daughter's. This girl (now 17) had apparently gone into a police station and accused my husband of the most unimaginably horrific crime. She is the same age as my daughter and they used to play out the front together, were in same class at school but didn't really hang about together at school as my daughter said this girl was a 'bit odd'. Anyway, as I said, we moved area in 2004,husband relocated by his firm. we had a big kids leaving party at a local park, which the accuser attended, have photos of her waving us off as we left in the removal van. My daughter remembers them burying a 'time capsule' together in the other girl's back garden.. etc etc. My husband has little or no memory of this child because he was always working! He thinks he may have, in his life, said three words to her! Our son was born prematurely in 2002, the year she said these things took place, and I was therefore at home most of the time. Husband and I have been together since I was 18 he was 20 which is 16 years, I would trust him with my life, my children's lives. Not for one instant did I think he cold have done this, no one who knows him would. But still, they hauled him off in handcuffs, apparently treated him like Jack the Ripper, bailed him til 6th June. Told him social services would be in touch to speak to our daughter, so we told her, poor thing, trying to do her A Levels- and they NEVER came to speak to her. Never imposed any conditions on the bail. Took our laptop and PC but not the kids computers. So we got a letter then just before bail date to say he was rebailed, and then the other day the solicitor called and said it had been NFA'ed, we can pick up our stuff.
    We thought we'd feel relieved, but just feel the same. Husband asked the solicitor what we could do now, how can we get this removed from his record- to be told there's nothing we can do. He tried to contact the OIC who pretty much hung up the phone on him. He is so angry and I'm worried that he's going to do something silly. We just don't understand WHY someone would do this. My husband has been down every train of thought- business related sabotage (far fetched I know) but not as far fetched as this being true! Does anyone have any idea as to why a teenage girl would falsely accuse someone she hardly knew? Because we are going crazy wondering. Also my husband is worried that if her family know about it, and believe her, what will they do when they find out it's been dropped? Surely we should feel better but it's just awful. Our youngest son who was prem has health problems and we were saving up to take him to Florida- which we now wont be able to do I think because of this complete lie on my husbands record. It is so so unfair, my daughter summed it up when she text her Dad (step Dad actually but he's been there all her life) that she loved him so much and would fight til her last breath to make sure his name was cleared- but we can do nothing? Sorry this was long, if anyone has made it this far, thanks. x

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry you find yourself here.

Unfortunately what you are feeling is entirely normal. Many people who have been FAd and then NFAd feel the same sense of rage and injustice. In a way it is almost preferable to be charged and given the opportunity to defend yourself rather than simply NFAd with no explanation. At least if you are charged you get to see the accuser's statements and you can then gain some satisfaction by going through all the inaccuracies and contradictions.

I think I am right in saying that historical cases such as this are more likely to proceed to charge unless there is something glaringly wrong with the accuser's statement. In this case it sounds as though the police and the CPS think that the complainant is not credible and they do not have confidence in her. She could have told Plod that, should the case go to court, she wasn't prepared to give evidence. However, cases can still proceed without the complainant giving evidence - the CPS will usually use the video footage of the initial interview.

The fact that your daughter was never interviewed speaks volumes. When your husband was interviewed did the police give him any details of the accuser's claims?

In order to get the arrest wiped from his record there are a few things you can do. First of all you can ask the police to change the NFA to a "No Crime". They are unlikely to be receptive to this, so I also recommend that you write to your MP, asking for his/her support on this matter. You could also make a formal complaint about the false allegation to the police. Again, they are unlikely to want to proceed, but remember that you are reporting a crime...she has attempted to pervert the course of justice and you are just as entitled to justice as anyone else who has been the victim of a crime.

As for the accuser and her family - well, you can expect them to tell others that the decision to drop the charges was theirs. Often false accusers will claim this in order to make it sounds like it was their choice. In reality, only the CPS can decide whether or not to prefer charges. Do they live near to you now?

Others will no doubt be along soon with more advice. In the meantime, welcome

Comment

Hi,

I sympathize with your & your hubby's feelings; Saffron has given some great advice and i can't really add to it except to say it is quite possible to your hubby's accuser may have also accused other men.

As you've looked through the forum you will see the multiple accusations are not uncommon; this might explain why the CPS dropped it, also it would make it less of a personal vendetta against hubby.
      'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

The other thing I would add is that from his initial arrest to the NFA was a matter of weeks rather than months, which for a historical allegation is unusual. From the end of March to the beginning of June is about 9 weeks by my reckoning (although I have always been on verge of Numerically Dyslexic, so please correct me if I am wrong!)

It is not uncommon for cases like this to take months and even in some circumstances years! My assumption is that either the accuser withdrew her allegation, or the CPS/Police found something amiss with her statement.

My hubby was on police bail (accused of rape) for a total of 16 weeks, despite the accuser phoning the police a week after her original accusation and saying that she "couldn't be sure" she had actually been raped. So 9 weeks or so from accusation to NFA is very very quick, especially when analysis of computers is required. Do you know exactly when she spoke to the police?

I am not sure, but maybe you could ask (Freedom of Information) to see her statement? It might help give you some closure.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying.

Saffron, yes, there were details- extremely graphic horrific details apparently detailing a 'textbook' case (according to the OIC) 3 incidents All of which apparently occured whilst myself and my daughter and two sons were 'in another room'. Because, you see, before DH was read the (bits of) statement, he presumed it was a case of mistaken identity,and kept saying 'just show her a picture of me, and she'll realise'. The OIC will not speak to DH AT ALL. So we don't know why they are not proceeding or what has happened. Is this not strange? He made DH feel as if he was the most evil man to walk the planet, and DH said if I'd heard the statement, I'd have seen why he was being treated like that, if they really thought he did it. But of course he didn't.

Comment

Oh, and she made the accusation about a week before DH was arrested.
            We still live up here in a different county. It was a different police force that came to arrest him, but they took him to a local police station.
            It is probably only 9 weeks but it has felt an eternity. I realise in a way we are 'lucky'. I shouldn't speak too soon anyway as haven't had official confirmation of the NFA, just solicitor's phone call.
            The accuser added my daughter as a facebook friend a few weeks before the arrest, and then removed her again, no doubt after having a good snoop. Whilst it was all going on I just couldn't help reading sites like these and scaring myself to death, as it sounds like cases like these are routinely sent to trial with no evidence, and I cannot fathom a reason- a theory of case- as to why on earth she would say this stuff. Honestly, my DH still feels it is a set up, or that she's been given money to say this, but it seems unlikely. Everyone keeps saying what fantastic news on the NFA but we are just numb.

Comment

Hi,
              Welcome to the forum.
              You really have been to hell and back.
              There really is something wrong with the mindset of 'people' who make false allegations of rape/sexabuse.
              I still can't get my head around it and "wonder what are the thoughts that surround them when they are alone in their beds". They obviously can sleep with themselves knowing the dire danger they have placed their victim in and must know the hell that victim and his/her loved ones are enduring.
              Maybe that is where they get their kicks from and why they continue their lies to the point of causing innocent folks to be wrongfully convicted and wrongfully imprisoned for many years.
              There is a core of false accusers who become enraged when their victim is NFA'd and the accuser continues the vendetta in other ways in the sure and certain knowledge that the police will not take robust action to protect the innocent victim falsely accused.
              I do wonder if false accusers are born without a conscience and are incapable of any empathy to their fellow human being.
              This is the other point, when the false accuser is rumbled and exposed for the criminals they are, the judiciary excuses their behaviour by citing, personality disorders, alleged childhood abuse etc and in doing so confirms their victimhood where in fact and actuality victimhood does not exist.

False accusers are dangerous people who will not desist from their behavioural patterns and will say and do things to maintain the facade of being a victim.

Until the public authorities take action against these people the scourge of false allegations will persist and innocent lives will be decimated and the suffering will go on.

My thoughts are with you and I hope the help and support the members of this forum will extend to you and yours will ease your pain and help you all to achieve some semblance of normality back into your lives.
              Verity

Comment

Thank you so much Verity.

btw- my user name is part of a line from a Bon Jovi song which kinda helped us through the last few months. -When life is a bitter pill to swallow, you've gotta stand up for what you believe. Believe that the sun will shine tomorrow...

Comment

Hi and welcome,

Firstly, stop beating yourselves up trying to find a reason why this accusser did this, it will make you both ill.

I married my wife 22 years ago and took on her son who I loved as my own for all those years, unfortunately he became involved in drugs and alcohol and to cut a long a long story short he had me arrested for GBH (of which I was not guilty) saw me endure a crown court trial (at which I was found not guilty) and as a consequence I lost my home and business.

I spent so much time trying to understand how he could do this and I have still not, and dont think I ever will, come to an answer.

It is unfortunately just life, you could spend the rest of yours with this question eating away at you for the rest of your own life, or you could accept that there are some extremely 'poorly' people on this earth, you have been unfortunate enough to have been involved with one of them, and try to put it behind you. dont let it eat away at what appears to be a perfect relationship/family, you are better than that. there will be times when this question will simply jump into the front of your mind, I know, it still does with me, but try to put it to the back. Your accusser has 'lost', dont let her win by default!

Regarding your question is there anything you can do? I would suggest that initially you write to the chief constable of the police force concerned outlining your queries, Should you not be happy with their response you should then contact the Independant Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) again outlining your concerns, however, please do not let it take over your lives, you may feel very bitter at this time, and that is very understandable, but it does get better, honestly, as time moves on. Put all your efforts into your family, both yourself and your daughter clearly love your husband as I am sure does your son, and I am confident that your husband loves you all, concentrate on them, and not some 'poorly person' as I said, you are better than that.

Comment

Working...
                  X