No announcement yet.

Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SOR is a terrible burden, especially with all the proposals to make the list available to the public. The one blessing with R's case was that the judge ordered that he shouldn't be on the SOR. In typically useless style, when he was released his PO told him he had to sign the Register - we panicked totally at this news. She said it was unheard of that someone convicted of a sex crime should Not be on the SOR. it was only after numerous phone calls to our (again useless) sol that the PO finally believed us!

R has always said that serving a jail term and not being on the SOR was far preferable to be given a suspended sentence and having to sign the SOR.

Comment

Safron, R was very lucky indeed. Many may not agree with me but often the prison sentence is what you make it. For me it wasn't a holiday camp, but it wasn't exactly Auschwitz either. However, it's the families for whom it is hardest and no matter how you are and how much you try to allay their fears, they still remain under constant stress.

For the accused, in my opinion the SOR is the far greater ordeal - often inordinately longer than the sentence itself and further-reaching consequences than people anticipate. This is why I'd advise people to consider carefully before accepting a caution just in case they get lumped with SOR.

Comment

Casehardened,
        Just to elaborate, in The S*n today 27/28 Jan, there's an article about Pete Townshend playing (unwantedly by some) at some event. There is mention that he was cautioned in 2003 and placed on SOR for 5 years.

Just to make sure it was another "truth" from that rag, I checked The Times articles online and yes, he was on SOR as a result of a caution.
        Worth bearing in mind

Comment

Originally posted by LifeSucks View Post
          Casehardened,
          There is mention that he was cautioned in 2003 and placed on SOR for 5 years.
          and I have been under the impression that getting a caution was like picking up the 'get-out-of-jail-free' card in monopoly, but patently, as you and Saffron have highlighted, in these sort of cases it is not. It must be a absolute nightmare for anyone who likes travelling.

It's seems to be a 'sticky' label as well if the papers can pick it up years later.
          Last edited by Casehardened; 29 January 2010, 07:55 AM. Reason: woops, grammatical error
          'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

Comment

Exactly, which is why it must be a minefield to anyone coming into this experience "totally green." Five years ago I didn't for a million years think this would ever apply to me and gave it little thought.
            You're quite right, it is billed as a GOOJF card, but one with a spike in the tail!
            This is why I, and others like Saffron's partner's said, prison time is far easier because it ends. This doesn't. And, as you say, it seems to be available to all and sundry like the gutter press under the Freedom of Information Act. It's the biggest worry of all of this.

Comment

Working...
            X