Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeply unhappy and ANGRY at the CPS.

And now I want something to change.

I'm 17 years old now, and when I was 16 I met my then boyfriend, John. Shortly after we got together he moved in with me as he was homeless and began abusing me and raping me almost daily. I was unaware at the time of his abusing of alcohol and drugs.

I eventually got the courage to report him to the police and it was only after the SECOND time he held a razorblade to my throat he was held on remand - The first time he dragged me into a park with a hammer and kept asking me who I should kill, before threatening me, luckily i'd stolen his phone and managed to text my mum to phone the police.

It took months and my police officer was perfect, and made sure she got every little detail down to the T (She also worked her ass off for me, so she was as gutted as I was at the end result). He was banned from sending me letters whilst in prison and yet still continued to send them, some very sexually explicit. He didn't care that I ignored them.

Eventually, the sentencing came. He pleaded guilty to harassment and threats to kill. Yes, thats right. The CPS dropped my rape and assault charges, ignoring my warnings that he would contact me if he would be let out, infact, ignoring my wishes altogether and instead treating the whole situation as a teenage spat.

The judge described him as "A danger to himself, a danger to other people and a danger to (Myself), and against his better judgement he had no choice but to release him as he had pleaded guilty."

He was kept in for a further 2 months so I had time to prepare and move out of my own bloody city - excuse my cursing - as the CPS thought it be best that I moved. Luckily, the city I'm in now, I adore. However I have lived in the place where i'm from all my life, and so I was angry at having to leave, as you would expect.

Less than 7 hours after he was released from prison, he contacted me again via text, despite having a restraining order! I have no idea how he got my number, and although I contacted the police, he spent the entire weekend phoning me up and telling me to tell me where I lived so he could come and "teach me a lesson for crying rape."

The police then dealing with this situation were wholly unsympathetic until my mother explained to them that he had pleaded guilty to hitting me. He was due to appear back in court 2 and a half weeks ago when the police finally took me seriously and since then I have heard not a word.

I'm at a loss what to do, and now I can continue to see why most people refrain from reporting their abusers if this is the treatment we get. I am now deeply unhappy and suffering from PTSD & Social Anxiety.

Why does everybody (Please note, I mean the CPS) treat teenagers as people who are just making things up? This is not necessarily the case. My barrister said herself that they were finding it hard because I was "unusual". I never once cried about my situation, although I was self-harming and doing a lot of drugs/drinking, and I really didn't want anyone to see past the front I had on.

Sorry about the rant, I'm just so angry at the CPS & the police, and I'm currently working on a way to look at Harassment laws - how often, when you think of harassment, you think of someone hitting their girlfriend and stalking them?

I'll finish ranting here but just after this.

The CPS' excuse for dropping the rape and assault charges were this;

"The doctor you spoke to initially stated that you had recalled 3 rapes. In the statement you mentioned only 2." I spoke to no doctor about my situation whatsoever, only one to see if I could be put back on the waiting list for my psychiatrist and even then I didn't mention the situation, and in my statement I recalled all 3 rapes.

"There is no evidence of your abortion whatsoever." Yes, there was, because my police officer showed me the evidence she had gathered from the clinic.

As the victim in this matter your barrister would have been the prosecutor.

In these cases the defendant is always offered the chance to plead guilty and often are offered a "plea bargain" and although this is supposed to be "illegal" it goes on all the time. In this case it look like the assailant was offered a plea and accepted it. What surprises me is why you were not asked how you felt about this. I know of a case where the defendant was offered a plea bargain, he took it but the complainant refused to accept it and told him it was a trial or a guilty on all counts plea.

Once the plea has been accepted then the judge's hands are tied as to sentence. It's not judges who set the sentence guidelines but they have to abide by them. So if this guy had served the sentence on remand that he would have received then the judge had no option but to free him.

I don't understand the fact he was "banned" from writing to you while he was in prison. Usually the person in receipt of the unwanted letters would contact the prison to ensure that no letters addressed to you would leave the prison.

You can ask your mobile service provider to block all calls and you may be able to do that yourself on the phone depending on the phone. Most phones can block certain calls. And of course you must be talking to him when he rings otherwise how would you know that he's threatening you? You can press the "divert" button or turn it off. You don't have to listen to messages he might have left. As soon as you recognise the number or voice press "3" which will delete the call.

Change your number again and be careful who you give your number to in future.

I'm not sure what advice you need but hopefully the above will help.
    People Appealing Convictions of Sexual Offences ~http://www.pacso.co.uk

PAFAA details ~ https://pacso.co.uk/pafaa-people-aga...ions-of-abuse/

Comment

Working...
    X